Headbands aren’t just for little girls anymore! Sure, they’re great at keeping hair out of the face during sporting activities, but you don’t have to be an athlete to pull off this trend. Headbands come in all shapes and sizes (literally), and they can add both style and personality to any outfit, whether it’s dressed up or dressed down. Check out these 8 hairstyles that prove headbands are the best hair accessory of all time, and you might be ready to ditch your other accessories altogether!
1) The headscarf
The headscarf is the perfect way to add a touch of style to any outfit. Whether you’re looking to add a pop of color or keep your hair out of your face, a headscarf is the perfect accessory. Plus, there are so many different ways to wear one!
Here are eight of our favorite hairstyles that feature a headscarf :
1) Pull it back into a bun: Take an elastic and pull your hair back into a low ponytail. Wrap the scarf around your ponytail as if it were another hair tie and tuck in the ends under the elastic.
2) Throw it on like a hat: Simply throw the scarf over your head with either two long pieces hanging down or two short pieces crisscrossing at the nape of your neck.
3) Wear it draped across your shoulders: Drape one side of the scarf across each shoulder, leaving them loose. Then twist them together until they form an infinity knot at the front.
4) Put it up in a messy bun: Pull your hair into a high messy bun and wrap the scarf around loosely.
5) Let it hang loosely: Tie the scarf in a large knot behind your head, then let both ends hang loosely down.
6) Wearing as earmuffs: Take one end of the scarf and place behind each ear; then cross the other end over both ears and tie securely under your chin.
7) Tuck it into your shirt collar: Tuck the scarf underneath your shirt collar so that one point hangs down in front and the other hangs down in back.
8) Put it around your neck, open it up wide and use it as a shawl: Place the two points of the scarf directly opposite each other on either side of your neck. Pull both edges apart like wings, revealing fabric between them – you’ll have an oversized triangle-shaped shawl ready to go!
2) The side braid
The side braid is a versatile hairstyle that can be dressed up or down. Start by parting your hair to the side. Then, take a small section of hair from the front of your head and begin braiding it. Add small sections of hair from the sides of your head as you braid. Once you reach the back of your head, secure the braid with an elastic band. If you want to keep this look soft and romantic, tease out some pieces at the crown of your head. For a more sleek look, brush out all flyaways before securing the braid. Alternately, if you have long hair and want to keep it off your neck while working out, try a low ponytail with a scrunchie.
3) A casual style – half up and half down
Do you ever have one of those days where you just can’t seem to get your hair to cooperate? We’ve all been there. Luckily, headbands are the perfect solution to those bad hair days. They’re also great for adding a little bit of style to your everyday look. When wearing this hairstyle, pull some hair from each side up and back and secure with a clip or bobby pin. Then pull the remaining hair down in front of the face and secure it with another clip or bobby pin. Next, take two small pieces from behind the ears and use them to wrap around front on either side of your face so that they meet in the middle and create an X shape at center forehead.
4) Braided pigtails
Pigtails are one of the most classic hairstyles around, and they’re also one of the most versatile. If you’re looking to add a little something extra to your look, try braiding your pigtails and adding a headband. This style is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re dressing up for a party or just want to add a touch of fun to your everyday look. Plus, it’s easy to do yourself! Here’s how Grab two small sections on either side of your head. Put them in front of each other with their ends meeting in the middle and then tie them together at the top. Divide this new single strand into two strands again, putting one over each shoulder (this will be like pigtails). Repeat this process by grabbing two small sections from either side, but this time put them behind each other with their ends meeting in the middle and then tie them together at the top.
5) A braided crown
We love a good braided crown, and this one is no exception. This style is perfect for those with long hair who want to keep their hair out of their face. Plus, the headband adds a touch of elegance. Start by gathering your hair into a low ponytail. Then, braid the length of your ponytail and secure it with an elastic. Next, wrap the braid around the base of your ponytail and secure it with bobby pins.
6) Bun + bandana
The best thing about headbands is that they can dress up any hairstyle, even a simple bun. To try this look, start by putting your hair into a high ponytail. Then, wrap a bandana around your head, tying it at the base of your ponytail. Next, create a bun with your hair and secure it with bobby pins. Finally, wrap the tails of the bandana around the bun and tuck them in. Voila!
7) Messy bun with accessory
- Pull your hair back into a high ponytail.
- Secure the ponytail with an elastic, then twist your hair around itself to create a messy bun.
- Leave a few face-framing pieces out, then grab your headband of choice.
- Place the headband just above your ears, then start tucking your hair underneath it.
- Finish by adjusting the headband and messily pulling out a few pieces of hair around your face.
8) Side swept bangs with headband
There’s something about side swept bangs that make them look extra sleek, and when paired with a headband, the effect is amplified. If you’re looking to achieve maximum impact with minimal effort, this is the style for you. Simply sweep your bangs to the side and secure with a headband. Voila! You’re all set to take on the day ahead. If you want to get more creative, try adding in some accessories like earrings or a bracelet for an even more dramatic look. To show off your inner rockstar, try throwing on some cat eye sunglasses and topping it off with lip gloss. As always- find what works best for you and have fun with it!