People have been using apricot for their skin and hair, both inside and out, for centuries now. Apricot, also known as Prunus armeniaca or armeniaca apricot, is an ancient fruit that was commonly found in the Mediterranean region back in the days of Ancient Rome and Greece. With its sweet yet slightly sour taste, it goes well with just about any dish you could think of. And did you know that there are actually tons of health benefits from eating apricot? It’s true!
A Few Words On Apricots
Apricots are not only delicious, but they’re also great for your skin and hair! Here are five ways to use apricots to get glowing skin and silky hair.
1) If you have dry skin, you can whip up a moisturizing face mask by mixing one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of apricot puree. Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
2) For smooth strands, rub an apricot kernel between your hands until it becomes a paste-like consistency then apply this mixture to wet hair.
3) To keep frizz at bay, mix one cup of olive oil with two teaspoons of apricot oil and two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar. Rub into wet hair, then comb through for even distribution.
4) If you have discoloration on your skin, try using apricot to lighten it. Mix one teaspoon of raw honey with a tablespoon of apricot oil and apply to affected areas three times a day.
5) Want to tame those flyaways? Mix one teaspoon of apricot oil with two tablespoons of coconut oil and massage into your hair, then use a blow-dryer to style.
How To Go Apricot
- Eat them! Apricots are not only good for you, but they can also give your skin a healthy glow. Just eat a few apricots each day and you’ll start to see the difference.
- Use an apricot scrub. You can make your own by mixing together some ground apricots with honey and lemon juice. Or, you can buy an apricot scrub at the store.
- Rub a ripe apricot on your skin. Just rub it over your face and then rinse it off to exfoliate your skin. Then, pat dry with a towel and apply some moisturizer. Your skin will feel soft and smooth afterwards!
- Use apricot oil on your hair. Warm some oil in your hands and then rub it over your wet hair to give it shine and softness. If you have dry or frizzy hair, use apricot oil once a week for shinier and healthier looking locks!
- Rub a few apricots on your lips to give them some color. You’ll have fuller looking lips when you’re done! Just rub, scrub, and rinse off afterwards. Then apply some lip balm to prevent your lips from drying out after using an apricot scrub.
DIY Glow In-Shower Mask
This mask is perfect for when you want to multi-task and get your glow on at the same time. All you need is 2-3 apricots, mashed, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply the mixture to your face while in the shower and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
This Apricot Scrub is perfect for getting rid of dead skin cells and revealing radiant, glowing skin. Simply combine apricots, honey, and sugar to make a paste, then massage it into your skin in circular motions. Rinse with warm water and enjoy your smooth skin!
DIY Facial Exfoliant
Gently massage a small amount of apricot kernel oil into your face in circular motions for one minute. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Your skin will feel softer and smoother thanks to the natural exfoliating properties of the apricot kernels.