When it comes to makeup, beauty icon Bobbi Brown knows her stuff. Whether you’re applying mascara, contouring your face, or doing your eyebrows, these 10 Makeup tips will help make sure you get the most out of your makeup routine. If you’re looking to do something special with your appearance for an upcoming event, a first date, or just about any other reason that requires your best face forward, consider this list of makeup tips from Bobbi Brown—you won’t regret it!
1) Prep your skin
Prep your skin to create a flawless base for makeup. Bobbi’s top tips include exfoliating, moisturizing, and using sunscreen every day. If you have red or sensitive skin, you may want to avoid products containing fragrances that could cause irritation. Also be sure to test the products in a small patch of skin first as many people are allergic or sensitive to certain ingredients. And never forget about skincare after the makeup! You should always wash your face with cleanser and then apply toner before going to sleep so that you can wake up with clean pores!
2) Choose the right foundation
But there are so many foundations to choose from. Here’s how to find the right one for you:
- Start with a foundation that has a shade or two that matches your skin tone perfectly (you can always go darker or lighter, but it’s hard to go back).
- If you have dry skin, try a liquid foundation over a cream-based one. If you have oily skin, try the opposite.
3) Get the perfect nude lip
A nude lip is the perfect way to accentuate your natural beauty. The best way to create a nude lip is to use a light shade of lipstick and blot it with a tissue or brush it over with a clear gloss so that the color isn’t too heavy. For extra staying power, try applying some powder blush on top of your lipstick for an extra pop of color.
4) Create defined brows
Make defined brows your first priority. It’s the quickest way to brighten up your eyes, and it will frame your face beautifully. Here are a few tips:
1) Start with a pencil that matches the color of your skin and shade of your hair.
2) Use short strokes to fill in the brows starting at the inner corner of the eye and working outward.
3) Define and shape both outside corners of each brow, as well as any spot where there’s less hair.
5) Conceal imperfections
You don’t need a ton of coverage to look your best. In fact, too much makeup can make you look older and heavier than necessary. For the most natural and youthful look, use concealer under the eyes and on any spots or blemishes. The best way to cover up dark circles is with concealer that matches your skin tone as closely as possible- try the color champagne for fair skin tones or lemon for medium skin tones.
6) Smoke out your eyes
Bobbi Brown’s top makeup tip is to smoke out your eyes. To do this, use a dark brown shadow in the crease of your eyelid and blend it outward, then add liner and mascara. Use a lighter color on the lid and make sure to blend it well. This will give you a smokey look that will make your eyes pop.
7) Go natural with your blush
Go natural with your blush. Bobbi Brown says that you don’t need to apply a lot of makeup in order to look great. Instead, she recommends going for something that feels good and looks natural. This way, you’ll have just enough color to do the trick without looking like a clown or overdoing it.
8) Add some shimmer
- Apply your favorite bronzer to the top of your cheekbones, starting at the temples and sweeping back toward your hairline.
- Add a touch of highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, above the bronzer and on your chin, nose and brow bones to give a natural-looking glow.
- Dust a taupe eye shadow over lids to create more dimension with less product.
9) Set your makeup
1) Put on a light layer of powder to set your makeup and fill in any cracks in the foundation.
2) Use a concealer to cover up any blemishes or dark circles under your eyes.
Do you know the top makeup tips from Bobbi Brown? These are some of her best!
1) Gently swipe a lip brush across your lips for an even coat of color.
2) Put concealer on your eyelids to make eyeshadow last longer.
3) Apply mascara to the bottom lashes first and then work your way up to the top lashes, starting with the inner corner.